[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomacy

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomacy
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:28:11 +0000 (GMT)

On 22 Feb 2003, Davide Pagnin wrote:
> >- The "No Contact" status is removed from the list of treaties, since it
> > doesn't play any role (it never did). Default will now be Neutral.
>
> I continue to say that being "Neutral" to someone, means that you know
> him.
> My proposal is let "No Contact" stay and switch to Neutral automatically
> when the first contact is made.
> That is to say that "No contact" and "Neutral" are the SAME status, but
> they have different name, in consideration of the fact that you never
> meet the other player before.

Don't you see that this will be very confusing, since we then also have
_another and different_ "contact" status? So when you get first contact,
you change "No Contact" to "Neutral" status and you get "Contact" status
for embassy, but when you lose contact again, you _don't_ become "No
Contact" but remain "Neutral" yet won't get "Contact" for embassy... No,
this won't do.

> The cost of a diplomat (i.e. 30 coin) isn't acceptable.
> The default should be the same amount of coin you should pay if you want
> to rush a diplomat in a city from scratch in one turn.

And that means... how much exactly? And who should pay this cost, the one
receiving it or the one giving it?

> Provided this, I ask also that Embassy require (mandatory) the knowledge
> of writing.

That means introducing a new tech flag for this. Mike, will this conflict
with gen effects?

  - Per