[Freeciv-Dev] Re: info in savegames [Was Re: non-existent technologies]

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: info in savegames [Was Re: non-existent technologies]
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 12:37:40 -0500

Mike Kaufman wrote:
On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 12:21:19PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Christian Knoke wrote:

- Use XML for savegames (and probably everything else). You can keep
the map save format intact with XML.

How, exactly?

- Save the ruleset data *once* for every game you start in a seperate file.

This is a good idea, but perhaps do it a bit differently: You can choose
to save the game in two different ways: Quickly (small size) or Portably
(with full rulesets). That way we could enable scenarios and modpacks that
have everything rolled up into one file.

I would have no problem with this.
In fact I think that we should have another option: Be able to save all of
the AI state. That way we can actually reproduce bugs from savegames all
the time [ok, well most of the time].

What will this require? warmaps? unit.ai struct? what else?

Another choice for the ruleset problem is to journal the ruleset, so that if you were playing with an older version of it that version would still be available.

Although this idea doesn't really sound like a *good* one...

jason