[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2941) RFC: canvas_put_sprite

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2941) RFC: canvas_put_sprite
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 10:10:35 -0800

Rafa³ Bursig wrote:

> If I understand your intention... you want move all draw code to
> "common" part and leave in "gui" side only "put_sprite" function...
>
> how do you want make correct fog of war drawing ?
>

> IMHO this type of unification give you rather bad aspects.

put_sprite() will not be the only function.  5-10 other low-level ones
will be needed, including put_sprite_fogged.

The drawback of this is that it doesn't let GUIs do optimizations like
(I think) gui-sdl does with fogged ocean tiles.  The advantage is that
changes to the drawing code become much easier.  Just look at how easy
it is now to make changes to the drawing code in tilespec.c - much
easier than for the stuff that is still in gui-xxx/mapview.

jason