[Freeciv-Dev] Re: non-existent technologies

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: non-existent technologies
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 09:51:51 +0100

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 11:28:20PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Eric S. Raymond <esr@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > this is crap. marginal? I think not. you're talking about adding something
> > > like 150k to each savegame (to store ruleset info).
> >
> > I don't have an opinion on whether to store the sulset of a capability
> > string;
> > you and Jason can fight that out.  I just like the idea of getting rid of
> > the magic numbers in favor of names.
>
> Aargh. I meant to write "The ruleset or a capability string"

I just want to throw in two suggestions and then disappear from this
debate.

- Use XML for savegames (and probably everything else). You can keep
  the map save format intact with XML.

- Save the ruleset data *once* for every game you start in a seperate file.

Thank you.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/