[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC][Patch] Unit agents

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC][Patch] Unit agents
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:37:22 +0100

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 12:09:07AM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 10:45:45PM +0100, Christian Knoke wrote:

> > > Ok, I'll try that.
> >
> > The EA is really dumb.
>
> There are some parameters. What behavior do you expect?

Good question. I'd say, it depends ;)  I want that it explores
my island as fast as possible. Of course there are reasons to go
into huts, and reasons to avoid them (at first). I'd say coast-
following is a good thing.

> With the current setting the unit will do I wanted: explore the
> surounds around your cities.

It does _not_ prefer to explore the surroundings of the founded
cities first. It is not interested in huts. It goes into one
direction, stops one tile before the coast, goes back, returns
later to explore the coast tile, crossing a lot of already
known land. In one word, it is dumb. :->

When all tiles are explored, it goes to the bottom right corner.

> To all: what do you expect from a good explorer? The best strategy in
> terms of discovered tiles per turn is the always-move-diagonal that
> the current auto-explorer uses. Also possible is coast-following and
> my discover-city-surroundings.
>
>       Raimar

Christian

--