Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 2) (PR#1911)

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 2) (PR#1911)
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 18:29:48 +0200

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 06:00:26PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 12:37:35PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
>
> > > Does it? It doesn't need to, and it shouldn't.
> >
> > Nice idea, yes. But you'll end up with a running (and used) civserver
> > without a controlling terminal or connection.
>
> ALLOW_CTRL was invented precisely to address this problem.

Security is not the point here. It's about managing civservers
which are started be civclient without a terminal, and then been
released from civclient by disconnecting.

> I.e. if ALLOW_HACK level is still required once the game is up and
> running, something is wrong with the ALLOW_* design.  Note that
> civserver.freeciv.org never uses ALLOW_HACK.  ALLOW_HACK means:
> you may control not just my civserver session, but my whole account.
> It is wrong, by design, to give anybody ALLOW_HACK just to configure
> and run a civserver.

ALLOW_HACK is needed to save a game.

> > Ok for me. What about this: If the user disconnects from the local game,
> > *and* there are other human players active, then the civserver continues,
>
> What if the user wants just the AI players to continue?  I often run
> up tests that way.

Hhm.

> > the connect popop *doesn't* appear (civclient shows intro gif), and you
> > have a menue item "Game" -> "Rejoin local game", which does exactly this.
>
> The term "local" is superfluous and can be misleading.
> "Rejoin previous game" or just "Rejoin the game" is more accurate.

No, since this only applies to a civserver started locally by civclient.
Even a newbie user should be aware of whether a game is hosted local or
remote. She will learn this.

> > Or: The popup appears, but is restricted to join the local game, and gives
> > an informative message (like yours above or mine (from the last post) or
> > both).
> >
> > Also the user needs to be updated whether the game is still running (all
> > players have disconnected, or the game has ended).
>
> Isn't it good enough to let the user find out when she tries to rejoin?

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/