Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 2) (PR#1911)

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 2) (PR#1911)
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:14:14 -0500

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 12:37:35PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:

> > We should always get 127.0.0.1 from the local computer, unless it is
> > misconfigured.
> >
> > That used to be a freeciv FAQ from linux people, BTW. They couldn't
> > connect to the server at localhost, because they hadn't configured
> > localhost. Since most linux distributions now have decent network
> > installation and setup programs and people don't have to do it by hand, I
> > haven't heard that one in a long while.

> > > Problem is, there is a game running, consuming ressources (CPU, MEM,
> > > Traffic), and the user might not be aware of this. If she quits Freeciv,
> > > the game stops anyway.
> >
> > Does it? It doesn't need to, and it shouldn't.
>
> Nice idea, yes. But you'll end up with a running (and used) civserver
> without a controlling terminal or connection.
>
> Of course you can think of civclient's ability to control several
> civserver processes, the user jumping from one game to another,
> all games with several remote players connected to your machine ...
>
> But I think this is beyond Mike's patch. And I'm not sure this is
> a good idea. I'd rather think, *if* the user wants to host a second
> game, she should start another civclient.
>
> > > She should be warned, strikingly.

if she actually Quits the client, the server will be killed. (though I
should check that the server is killed if the client is killed from the
window manager). If the she Disconnects from the game, the server does not
quit. I should think that that's the expected behavior...

at that point, either you use the multiplayer option and join the game
you've already started/continued, or you pick the start single/saved and
kill the server and start another.

> > Against cutting her internet connection, yes.
>
> That's getting expensive in Germany and other countries with time fees.
>
> > "You are still server for the game you left. It will continue until all
> > players have left or timed out. If you cut your connection to the
> > internet, the game will be aborted."
>
> Ok for me. What about this: If the user disconnects from the local game,
> *and* there are other human players active, then the civserver continues,
> the connect popop *doesn't* appear (civclient shows intro gif), and you
> have a menue item "Game" -> "Rejoin local game", which does exactly this.
>
> Or: The popup appears, but is restricted to join the local game, and gives
> an informative message (like yours above or mine (from the last post) or
> both).
>
> Also the user needs to be updated whether the game is still running (all
> players have disconnected, or the game has ended).

urk. this is alot for a little.

-mike