Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 2) (PR#1911)

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 2) (PR#1911)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 19:53:37 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > remove xaw connect dialog since it was buggy.

It could be argued that Xaw doesn't need a connection dialog. Only
hardcore, die-hard, commandline using players use it anyway. (Hi,
Reinier!)

> > didn't worry too much about Christians ALLOW_HACK concern since anytime
> > the server is started from the client, the client immediately connects.
>
> Maybe you should. Just do
>
> #define AUTOCONNECT_INTERVAL        10
> #define MAX_AUTOCONNECT_ATTEMPTS      10000
>
> and you're in.

How about restricting ALLOW_HACK to connections from localhost?

> > didn't kill off server on disconnect (want other people's opinion on
> > this)
>
> Well, this can be discussed. I would say, kill the server. Just warn the
> user that this stopsthe game also for the remote players. Can you detect
> this (remote players) in an easy way?

Don't kill the server. That would be seriously annoying.

(Eventually we should consider migrating the server to one of the
remaining players, though. Not a big deal, just PACKET_MIGRATE_SERVER to
random other player who must spawn a server, then send all the data, then
PACKET_CHANGE_SERVER to all players. This can also be a feature to reduce
lag - migrate the server to the player with fastest connection. Anyway,
blue sky item.)

Yours
Per

"I don't see why people are so upset about cloning sheep. American
television networks have been doing that to their audiences for years."
-- Jello Biafra