Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 2) (PR#1911)

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 2) (PR#1911)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:35:39 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > somebody tell me how to do this. Or provide some code. I'm uncertain how.
> > Are we guaranteed to have"localhost" as a connecting address?

We should always get 127.0.0.1 from the local computer, unless it is
misconfigured.

That used to be a freeciv FAQ from linux people, BTW. They couldn't
connect to the server at localhost, because they hadn't configured
localhost. Since most linux distributions now have decent network
installation and setup programs and people don't have to do it by hand, I
haven't heard that one in a long while.

> > > Don't kill the server. That would be seriously annoying.
> Problem is, there is a game running, consuming ressources (CPU, MEM,
> Traffic), and the user might not be aware of this. If she quits Freeciv,
> the game stops anyway.

Does it? It doesn't need to, and it shouldn't.

> She should be warned, strikingly.

Against cutting her internet connection, yes.

"You are still server for the game you left. It will continue until all
players have left or timed out. If you cut your connection to the
internet, the game will be aborted."

Yours
Per

"I don't see why people are so upset about cloning sheep. American
television networks have been doing that to their audiences for years."
-- Jello Biafra