Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 2) (PR#1911)

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new connect dialog (ver 2) (PR#1911)
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:40:02 +0200

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 04:17:10PM -0500, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > > Maybe you should. Just do
> > >
> > > #define AUTOCONNECT_INTERVAL        10
> > > #define MAX_AUTOCONNECT_ATTEMPTS      10000
> > >
> > > and you're in.
>
> I didn't understand what Christian wanted here in the first place.

A remote player, who changes these both defines in his civclient,
can easily attack the site where the server is going to run. She just
needs to know when the game will be started, then she can login and
get cmdlevel hack before the hosting civclient manages to do so.

> > How about restricting ALLOW_HACK to connections from localhost?

Yes.

> somebody tell me how to do this. Or provide some code. I'm uncertain how.
> Are we guaranteed to have "localhost" as a connecting address?

> > > Well, this can be discussed. I would say, kill the server. Just warn the
> > > user that this stopsthe game also for the remote players. Can you detect
> > > this (remote players) in an easy way?
> >
> > Don't kill the server. That would be seriously annoying.
>
> I tend to agree.

Problem is, there is a game running, consuming ressources (CPU, MEM,
Traffic), and the user might not be aware of this. If she quits Freeciv,
the game stops anyway. She should be warned, strikingly.

"The game you just have left is still going on on your computer,
with some remote players participating. You can reconnect to the game
if you want. If you start a new game or quit Freeciv, the running game
will stop."

> > (Eventually we should consider migrating the server to one of the
> > remaining players, though. Not a big deal, just PACKET_MIGRATE_SERVER to
> > random other player who must spawn a server, then send all the data, then
> > PACKET_CHANGE_SERVER to all players. This can also be a feature to reduce
> > lag - migrate the server to the player with fastest connection. Anyway,
> > blue sky item.)
>
> yeah, no kidding.

"Look, Mommy, there is no clouds up in the sky!"

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/