Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ3 extensions to FreeCiv

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Andrew John Hughes <hughes2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ3 extensions to FreeCiv
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:24:38 +0100

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 10:29:24AM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> I have plans to give nations specific advantages. Such advantages
> could be:

>  - extra fixed starting techs

This is already possible in CVS, with the "init_techs" field, unless I
misunderstand you.

>  - cheaper units/improvements/wonders

        There is code in FreecivAC for this effect of governments, which
can easily be extended to nations, although I think it's only in my local
tree (not CVS) at the moment. I will check. (It's kind of deprecated
though, as I would prefer to use impr-gen effects for this kind of thing.)

>  - almost all of the other effects:
> All of this have to be coded and balanced. So it a long-term project.

        FreecivAC/impr-gen will almost certainly have code for this within
the week, so the coding aspect is pretty short-term from my perspective. But
you're probably right about the balancing. ;)

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment.  It's the