Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ3 extensions to FreeCiv

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ3 extensions to FreeCiv
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:17:34 +0100

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 12:54:17PM +0100, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> Yeh, a lot of what Civ3 added was actually in SMAC - the seperation of
> workers and setters (or Colony Pods and Formers in SMAC) comes to mind.

        I'm pretty sure you can create such separate units in Freeciv now
too, by messing with units.ruleset. It's certainly been possible in
FreecivAC for some time.

> As to SMAC, aren't drone riots the same as rebellions in Civ (although you
> can't nerve-staple in Civ - more's the pity).

        Yup, pretty much. It's only really the name that's different, so
this would largely be a cosmetic change.

> swaps for CIV population to SMAC population - unhappy citizens=drones,
> doctors=entertainers(elvises), librarians=scientists.

        True, although SMAC has a larger variety of "special" citizens,
such as Transcendi. We intend to add ruleset support for these eventually.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"And do you know Carolina where the biscuits are soft and sweet?"