Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ3 extensions to FreeCiv

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ3 extensions to FreeCiv
From: Andrew John Hughes <hughes2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:37:29 +0100

On Wednesday 10 July 2002 9:29 am, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 11:09:40PM +0100, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> >
> > There has been some recent discussion on the freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx mailing
> > list on extending FreeCiv with some of the features of the new Civ3.  I
> > was wondering what the thoughts of the current developers were on doing
> > this and if it could be achieved.
> > For myself, I would like to get involved on developing FreeCiv, having
> > enjoying playing FreeCiv and Civ I, II, and III, and this is a particular
> > area I would be interested in working on.  I think it would be best
> > achieved by adding the features as options to freeciv in the form of
> > rules and server options, as it doesn't really warrant complete
> > seperation from the Civ I and II compatability currently in FreeCiv.  I
> > think most of the additions/changes would work to this scheme, and it
> > would allow the creation of unique games with a combination of the good
> > features of both the older Civs and the newer Civ3.
> >
> > Civ3 support would also make use of the nation representation, which
> > ,as far as I can see, relates to little more than the flag.  Civ3
> > has unique units and attitudes/special skills for the nations, which
> > could be incorporated.  The units also carry their nationality
> > (simply adding Nation_Type_id to the unit struct should sort this)
> > and are more disposed towards that nation, although they can
> > eventually be assimilated (related to the culture of the two
> > nations).
>
> I have plans to give nations specific advantages. Such advantages
> could be:
>  - extra starting units
        Yeh, Civ3 gives expansive nations the explorer, so this feature would
allow
this
>  - extra fixed starting techs
        The techs in Civ3 relate to the national attitude - don't know if they
are
the same as Civ I/II
>  - extra random starting techs
        Good idea
>  - the ability to produce a certain unit if you have the tech
        Civ3 works through replacement of one unit with another, I think we
could go
further and have maybe several units for some nations.  Maybe extra techs
specific to a nation or nations?
>  - cheaper units/improvements/wonders
>  - increased/reduced production of food, shield, trade,...
        Good ideas, similiar sort of thing is done in games like Age of Empires
>  - almost all of the other effects:
>    * so you can build a omniscient nation with Reveal_Map
>    * a Viking nation which triremes doesn't sink with No_Sink_Deep
>    * or a religious nation which doesn't have Anarchy with No_Anarchy
        No Anarchy for religious civs is a feature of Civ3s.  Omniscient nation
is a
good idea, and the Vikings wil finally be able to 'discover' America as they
should (should be made harder perhaps then researching the techs (still a
slight chance of sinking in ocean, say) or there is no point to them)

> All of this have to be coded and balanced. So it a long-term project.
>
> > This would mean, however, that each nation could only take part in
> > the game once, limiting the number of players - don't know if this
> > is already in place anyway.
>
> It is.

I think its best if Civ3 features are implemented in the kind of general way
you suggest (this is what I was hinting towards), so we can extend the ideas
and make them better, while also having an additional ruleset that covers
Civ3 rules/techs/nations.

>       Raimar

- --
Andrew :-)