[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:25:59 +0100

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:42:27PM -0400, Mark Metson wrote:

> I'll try to look into that. Another thing about roads that bothers me is
> where I grew up (England) the Romans were always mentioned as the great
> road-builders. Do puny pre-Roman roads really count for much on the Civ
> scale?

Yes, and it was actually the Celts (related to the Romans) who brought the
cart and the first serious roadbuilding to Britain.  Some of these Roman
roads you see everywhere are actually pre-Roman.  I remember one of the
roads leaving Cirencester (northward, to a Roman villa) as a case in point;
like the town itself, the road is known to predate Roman occupation by
centuries.

But I don't think any of this has bearing on Freeciv.
It would be fun to have roadbuilding as a separate, nonautomatic tech.

--
Reinier