Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: make ai understand peace and alliances (PR#1277

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: make ai understand peace and alliances (PR#1277)
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 05:39:42 -0800 (PST)

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > Fully agree. Per, you claimed that in the modpack situation it made no
> > sense to have allliances that you could leave. The example you gave
> > was Middle Earth. I'm not sure you're quite right on that. After all,
> > in every scenario, real life or fictional, you can never quite trust
> > your allies.
>
> IMHO, this must be up to the modpack author to decide. With teams, as
> outlined, he can decide by using teams or not. Team allies should never
> break their alliances, since they ultimately aim for a "team win".

If you think that's necessary.

> > Post that save game. I want to check if the AI
>
> I've already deleted the savegames, unfortunately. You can try using
> rulesetloading3 + teams1 + ai2 patches, and set all AIs on the same team.
> That way they'll go for a lot more peaceful expansion, and you should see
> caravans being used a lot.
>
> Another thing about caravans - does the AI check if the destination city
> has available traderoutes? What happens if you send a caravan with goto to
> a city with traderoutes filled up?

You'll want to read ai/aiunit.c

Line 1600 ai_manage_caravan for details.

The ai uses  common/city.c Line 763 can_establish_trade_route to check if the
destination has at least one available trade route.

I do not know what happens if the city turns out to have no free traderoutes
by the time the caravan gets there. Tony Stuckey is the author of a lot of this
code.

If you have any more questions, there's also Ross Wetmore. Otherwise the AI
cleanup crew would be your people for any random questions. That would be Petr,
Greg, and myself.