[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Is the city names patch good?

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Is the city names patch good?
From: Takacs Gabor <tg330@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:18:06 +0100 (MET)

Hello!

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Reinier Post wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 11:57:34PM +0100, Takacs Gabor wrote:
>
> > I still say that the current natural city naming method is bad
> > but now I think Jason's solution would be the best for the problem.
> > What's the opinion of others?
> >
> > Gabor
>
> I agree, city names have a meaning in Freeciv  - they usually show the order
> in which cities were created -  and therefore naming schemes must not easily
> been discarded.  Personally I'd prefer to play with nonsense names, but I'll
> submit a patch to support that once I really feel the need to.
>
> --
> Reinier

I think with Jason's solution it would be possible to use random
city naming order. (If you don't like that players can gain
information from the city names)

It could be an option.
(It's realizable with the current city naming method too)

As I said I think a big problem with the current natural city naming
method is:
 - it's not optional
It's bad for players who don't like this strict natural city naming.
And I think it would be very difficult to make it optional
because of the structure of the ruleset file.
(There is no global city order)

Jason's method is more general:
It would be good for players who like natural city naming
and it would be also good for players who don't like it.
It is customizeable and flexible.

Gabor