[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Is the city names patch good?

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Is the city names patch good?
From: Jason Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:23:35 -0500

Mike Jing wrote:

Takacs Gabor <tg330@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I write about a patch added to Freeciv on Dec 6.

The description of the patch (from changes.txt):

> Add the ability to structure the city names of nations based
> on the (surrounding) terrain. For this city_name_suggestion now
> take the position of the city.

I think this patch has more disadvantages than advantages:
(I apologize to the author :-)

Personally, I like the patch (and liked the idea from when I first saw it, many months ago).

1. In an "avarage" Freeciv game I think there are a lot more
   coastal cities than non coastal cities.
   And there are only few river cities.
   In the real world there are a lot of river cities, and a
   lot of non-coastal cities too.

As a side note, I have always thought the default rivers value is too low.

It is certainly true that the system doesn't degrade well. Here's a more complicated system that would:

cities = "Washington" (capital, river, coastal), "New York" (river, coastal), "Boston" (river, coastal), "Philadelphia" (river), "Los Angeles" (coastal), etc...

Note here I've made "capital" a description. It is also possible for more than one description to apply.

When you want to name a new city, you go through all cities and give them a value - say, exponentially decreasing based on how low down they are in the list. Then you multiply that value by whatever terrain features match - and possibly divide if they don't match. So if America founds a coastal river city first, washington will always become their capital - but if they found a river city first it might be philadelphia (if you work the numbers right). A mountain capital would be given a third name.

This is just rambling, though. I don't have a problem with the current system; only time will tell if it needs to be improved.

   The effect:
   Big & important & historical cities have great chance not to
   appear in the game. (If they are river or non-coastal cities)
   I tried the patch with the English and after playing for a long
   time the server hasn't offered Manchester as a city name yet!

Manchester isn't categorized at all, which I guess means it'll only show up if no terrain-matching city name exists. This means that adding more cities to a ruleset will exacerbate the problem, which is certainly not a good thing.

2. I like when the capital of a nation is their real capital.
   It makes the game more interesting.

   Why is it good that the capital of the English is mostly Blackpool?
   Or if there is a chance that the American capital will be Riverside?

I live in America, and I've never heard of Riverside. But it only shows up because it is listed at the top of the "river cities", which it clearly should not be. In time the rulesets will catch up. If "philadelphia" were there instead, wouldn't that be better?

As for Blackpool...well, scales in FreeCiv are different than in the real world. In FreeCiv, Manchester would probably be considered a coastal city. <checks "earth" scenario> But then, so would London - in fact, it's *impossible* to get London as your capital in the 160x90 v1 "Earth" scenario.

This does illustrate a problem, though: partially converting a ruleset to the new system gives bad behavior like this. "Washington" isn't categorized under a terrain at all (it should be "river" or "coastal river"), and neither are most of the other "major" cities. Does this mean they'll never show up?

Well, some players deliberately hide their capital through obscure city naming, e.g. duplicate city names. I very much prefer the way it is in Civ3, where it is impossible to hide your capital at all as it is clearly visible on the map.

This isn't intended to prevent that behavior (nor can it). As I understand it, in addition to being cool in itself (which it is, IMO) it is intended to prevent experienced players from taking advantage of new players who always name their cities in order.

3. The patch makes the development of the nation rulesets more difficult.
   For example the developer has to decide what to rank as a river.
   And if the ranking of 2 developers is is different that will appear
   as confusion and chaos for the Freeciv players.

Agreed.  I don't think the extra work is worth it.

Can't you just not categorize the cities? If you leave them all under the "cities" entry, I imagine the behavior will be the same as before.

Really, this patch to the code doesn't change behavior _at all_, it just introduces a new feature into the rulesets. Only when the rulesets are changed will the behavior of the game change. So if you want this not to happen, you should (IMO) be talking to the ruleset writers.

4. Currently more then half of the nations (especially small and fantasy
   countries) doesn't use the new city naming method. Updating the
   rulesets of these nations is particulary difficult.

I think the old city naming method (sorting the cities by economical and
historical importance) is simple and excellent.
I suggest to go back to it.

I know I am only one opposer.
What is the opinion of others?

You are not the only one. I never liked this patch. BTW, I like the uniqe city names patch much better.

I like the unique city names patch as well. It addresses a different problem.

In summary, I think the system can be improved in the future (I'd like to see island cities), but I don't think it's a bad system.

jason