[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fog of war only for the AI (PR#1120)

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fog of war only for the AI (PR#1120)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:57:47 +0000 (GMT)

 --- jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think there are several completely unrelated problems that need to be
>
> solved here:
>
> - Getting the AI to play with a handicap like fog of war.  There's a
> whole list of handicaps in the handicap enumeration, and AFAIK the AI
> obeys none of them.  This is a pain to fix using the current
> server-side AI system (if I understand things correctly).

AI obeys some of them, the easily localisable ones like HUTS (can see
HUTS in the dark).  It is not that much pain to fix it step by step,  but
a prerequisite for it is a cleanup of AI (at least commenitng and
reformatting, just to make it more readable), whose prerequisite, in
turn, would probably be getting an AI-dedicated maintainer.

About AI:
There is much talk about getting FC to be able to emulate whole range of
games from Quake to Tetris, but a bigger problem IMHO is to make AI
decent.  It seems many people agree with me.  I recently discovered for
myself this page:
http://www.freeciv.org/oldpolls.phtml

Some results:
"Whom do you mostly play against?"  AI -- 72%
"In which areas is it most important that Freeciv is improved?"
on the first place: AI -- 37%

> - Allowing players to violate the handicaps.  This would mean making
> this handicap enumeration common between ai/human players, then
> changing
> code to obey it.  This would probably be quite reasonable.

Can this be done by just sending the player more info about tiles?

G.