[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fog of war only for the AI (PR#1120)

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fog of war only for the AI (PR#1120)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 20:59:01 -0500

At 11:57 AM 01/12/12 +0000, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> --- jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>About AI:
>There is much talk about getting FC to be able to emulate whole range of
>games from Quake to Tetris, but a bigger problem IMHO is to make AI
>decent.

Actually, this is largely proposed by people like Tony that then use
it as a strawman to attack any further development of FC along lines
that would easily permit modular upgrades and fixes.

It really would be terrible if some non-FC developers tuned in and
started using FC code or sent in even more updates usable by FC than
the current maintainers can't handle as a side effect of them
developing their own extensions, wouldn't it :-).

But it would make fixing FC a lot easier if it had a more generic and
systematic structure, whether this means a top down rewrite into
generic modules, or a bottom up cleanup into generic modules.

The problem, is that neither approach gets too far too fast around
here for much the same reasons :-).

> It seems many people agree with me.  I recently discovered for
>myself this page:
>http://www.freeciv.org/oldpolls.phtml
>
>Some results:
>"Whom do you mostly play against?"  AI -- 72%
>"In which areas is it most important that Freeciv is improved?"
>on the first place: AI -- 37%

But there are openly stated objections to and a morotorium placed
on any server AI changes. So what the customer wants doesn't
necessarily count for much ...  :-)