[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fog of war only for the AI (PR#1120)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fog of war only for the AI (PR#1120)
From: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:43:11 -0800 (PST)

Reinier Post wrote:

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 06:02:01AM -0800, gianmario.scotti@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Sometimes I find the AI irritatingly good (even on easiest level- ok, I suck at
civ and I hate losing) so I thought hey, why not have fogofwar set to 1 for the
AI, but not for the human player?

Good idea ...

Implications: I believe this would be fairly easy to implement. We already have
Fog of war, all we need to do is not to activate it for the human player.

The problem is that the AI is not a regular player, its interface with the
server is very different.

I think there are several completely unrelated problems that need to be solved here:

- Getting the AI to play with a handicap like fog of war. There's a whole list of handicaps in the handicap enumeration, and AFAIK the AI obeys none of them. This is a pain to fix using the current server-side AI system (if I understand things correctly).

- Allowing players to violate the handicaps. This would mean making this handicap enumeration common between ai/human players, then changing code to obey it. This would probably be quite reasonable.

jason