[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Generalised improvements testing

To: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Generalised improvements testing
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:01:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Daniel Sjölie wrote:

> So, does this mean that wonders giving the effect of buildings in cities
> have to have the appropriate effect set explicitly? Eg, if you change
> the effect of cathedrals do you have to change Michelangelo's as well?

This is how the current rulesets work, yes.

        Actually, I have thought of a problem with the current impr-gen
happiness calculation. Happiness is calculated in the following order: civ
size, luxuries, normal buildings, martial law/aggressive units, Wonders.
So, since any unhappiness from aggressive units (e.g. under Democracy) is
calculated _after_ the effects of Temples etc., the only two ways of
cancelling this unhappiness are luxuries (to make happy citizens) or
happy/content-making Wonders. Normal buildings can't do this. Sound
reasonable?

        Traditional Freeciv counts "Wonders that act as buildings" as
affecting happiness at step 3 above, i.e. at the same time as normal
buildings. My code applies this at 5. So this will create differences in
the treatment of aggressive unit unhappiness when using Wonders like the
Oracle and Michelangelo[*]. The question is: which way does Payciv do it?
Which way is "right"? I'll probably get round this particular problem by
extending the happy/content-making ruleset effects so that you can specify
whether they apply at "step 3" or "step 5", but frankly I consider the
whole affair to be rather confusing. :)

[*] e.g Temple+Mysticism+Oracle:
      - Ordinary Freeciv: 4 citizens made content at step 3.
      - Impr-gen: 2 citizens made content at step 3 due to the Temple,
                  2 more at step 5 due to the Oracle.
    Michelangelo+Theology (no Communism):
      - Ordinary Freeciv: 4 citizens made content at step 3.
      - Impr-gen: 4 citizens made content at step 5.

        The current impr-gen solution is equivalent to letting "excess"
happy/content-making effects from step 3 carry over to step 5, but normal
Freeciv doesn't allow this. Is there any Freeciv or Payciv documentation
on how the order of buildings, Wonders and aggressive units affects
happiness?

> I think it would be preferable to actually add the buildings in some
> sense since this is what it seems to work like in all the commercial
> civs I've seen... Eg, when you take a city in civ3 all improvements are
> destroyed but you appear to have the improvements added by wonders...
> Ie, they appear in the improvements list and so on...

        If you mean improvements added by Wonders that you have yourself
(rather than Wonders that the old city owner had) then sure, you'd still
get the effect of these Wonders. I don't think Freeciv has _ever_
explicitly shown these "pretend" buildings in the improvements list
though...

        Question: what about the Oracle? That doesn't act as an
improvement at all, but magnifies the effect of an existing one (the
Temple). So I'm guessing that Civ2 wouldn't display a Temple if you only
had the Oracle Wonder.

> Maybe I'm just confused here? :)

        Not having played Civ1 or Civ2, I'm not sure. But I don't
remember SMAC doing that.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/