[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Generalised improvements testing

To: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Generalised improvements testing
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:55:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Daniel Sjölie wrote:

> Ok, I tried it... Compiles fine and seems to work with the saves I
> tried... Didn't dig into anything really though...

        Well, my own testing (partly prompted by the "island_improv" bug
that Jason came across) has revealed some problems, and I'll address these
in a "version 2" of the patch(es), probably over the weekend. The problems
I've encountered are:

1. Data for barbarian players not initialised properly (causes the
   "island_improv" assertion failure) as I didn't consider the addition of
   players _after_ game start. This will also cause a similar problem with
   the creation of a new AI player on civil war. Will be fixed in
   effect-init2.patch (to appear shortly)
2. All Wonders apply happiness bonuses _after_ martial law, while all
   non-Wonders apply them before. This is inconsistent with standard
   Freeciv behaviour. Already fixed - expect new effect-city* patches
   shortly.

        My code also affects Fundamentalism (in two ways: 1. tithes from
content-making buildings and 2. no unhappy citizens) and the calculation
of city pollution. I have not extensively tested either aspect, so if you
have savegames that use Fundamentalism and/or have heavily polluted
cities, I'd be interested to see whether the code "works".

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."