[Freeciv-Dev] Generalised improvements testing

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Generalised improvements testing
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 22:41:35 +0000 (GMT)

        As promised last week, I've split up most of the generalised
improvements code from FreecivAC, tidied up some parts of it, and written
a few completely new bits. I've submitted all of these patches to the bug
tracking system and hence to this list. Now I know that some people
expressed interest in this code - thus, I encourage you to playtest it so
that it stands a reasonable chance of getting in to CVS in the
not-so-distant future!

What I recommend is the following:

1. Apply the effect-init.patch and effect-init-fix.patch patches from
   PR#1104 (http://www.freeciv.org/cgi-bin/bugs?findid=1104)

2. Follow up with effect-implement.patch (PR#1114) and then
   effect-iterator.patch (PR#1115)

3. Finish off with effect-city-bonuses.patch (PR#1117) and (if using the
   GTK+ client) effect-citydlg-happiness.patch (PR#1116)

4. I also recommend effect-update-opt.patch (PR#1094) to cut down on
   clientside CPU usage, particularly in large games

        If these patches cause Bad Things to happen (assert failures etc.)
then I'd like to know (preferably with a gdb stack trace, or better yet a
savegame that reproduces the problem). Also, if the new calculation of
city bonuses from PR#1117 gives different behaviour to the old code, I
need to know. (I know that the effect of Michelangelo's Chapel and similar
Wonders is different. In my code they act as Wonders - i.e. the last thing
to affect city happiness - whereas before they acted as the buildings they
replaced - e.g. Cathedrals etc. - affecting city happiness before martial
law and aggressive units. I'm not sure whether this could cause major
problems, but welcome discussion...)

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/