[Freeciv-Dev] Re: feedback when playing large civilisations (PR#1088)

To: s.yeates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: feedback when playing large civilisations (PR#1088)
From: "<s.yeates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <say1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:16:14 +1300

I enjoy playing large civilisations. When I earlier pointed out some
performance issues with with gtk interface, several people said ``use the xaw
interface, it's faster.''

I've been and tried the xaw interface (it configured and compiled nicely) and
had a play. There is, however, a fatal flaw in the xaw interface that inhibits
it's use with very large civilisations---the city report. When playing 700+
cities it's very rare to actually view the city, almost all of the game play is
in the city report, catching and dealing with outliers (cities growing too fast
or too slow, being too happy or too unhappy). The gtk city report is great for
this, you can sort (or reverse sort) by any attribute, and even sort by two
attributes. Once found, the problem cities can be multiply selected and dealt
with. The xaw city report, however, lacks all of this functionality, it
supports neither sorting nor multiple selection.

I appreciate that this lack of functionality is probably due to a highly
developed table widget in gtk and a poorly developed table widget in xaw, so
fixing it would probably require a new xaw table widget to be built.

I'd like to point out that despite all my complaints and suggestions for
improvements, I love freeciv. Thanks heaps for all the work you've put into it.

stuart

--    stuart yeates <s.yeates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka `loam'
  "To err is human--but it feels divine."  --  Mae West
X-no-archive:yes