[Freeciv-Dev] Re: feedback when playing large civilisations (PR#1088)

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: s.yeates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: feedback when playing large civilisations (PR#1088)
From: "<s.yeates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <say1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 09:56:58 +1300

> Ok. Can you say something about the speed? Is it much faster?
> Since we don't want to develop such xaw high level table widget
> we have to make gtk faster. And I have the uncertain feeling
> that gtk 2.0 is even slower.

The normal game play is not significantly slower in gtk, but there are specific
problems on certain operations, in particular:
(1) the inter-turn time (between hitting 'end turn' and getting control back),
which appears to be due to the fact that the graphics are updated too often In
fact both the map and the main screen appear to be updated, even if I turn off
all the (apparently) appropriate options. If I have 700 cities each with
several settlers on automatic, this can take a LONG time. It also appears to
increase each turn the client is active (I can probably quantify this if
necessary).
(2) in the cities report the display is updated for each element selected when
doing a multi-selection change. Since this involves updating a sorted list it
should be done once all the  multi-selected items have been changed. Again,
imagine hundreds of cities...

I can keep my eyes out for other problems.

>  "Premature optimization is the root of all evil."
>     -- D. E. Knuth in "Structured Programming with go to Statements"

So true.

stuart

--    stuart yeates <s.yeates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka `loam'
  "To err is human--but it feels divine."  --  Mae West
X-no-archive:yes