[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI can build railway-system

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI can build railway-system
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:27:45 -0500

Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As I said before, it's unrealistic, and also, I like the fact that
building railroads is a two-edged sword.  That makes it a strategic
decision whether and where to build them.

On the contrary, it is very realistic because it is highly unlikely that the enemy would let you use their railroad system BEFORE you have taken over their territory.

Without any explicit action by the enemy, it isn't.

OK, I was half-joking with the above argument, but this is really a gameplay issue. I understand that you prefer the way it is, but I think the other proposal is a reasonable alternative. I like it because it would make offensive war a little bit harder. And anything that would give peace builder a better chance of surviving is a good thing because as it is now it is too much of a warmonger's game. Again, it is not totally unreasonable to assume that you can't take advantage of railroads that are in the enemy's sphere of influence.

Roads, maybe they can't do much about that.  But
railroads?  No way!

This happened last time my own country was conquered.
(They forgot to pillage one of the railway bridges).

Remember you have a 'pillage' function in Freeciv.

Yes, it is often forgotten. But that's beside the point here. I am not just worried about having a city taken halfway across the continent via rail, but the basic fact that you can use that railroad at all. I know they should be heavily guarded as in real life, but realism be damned. It probably makes more sense in Civ3 as they got rid of ZOC, and you pretty much need railrod in every square as they got rid of farmland too, so it is impractical to have troops guarding every single tile.

In any case, infrastructure matters very little in Freeciv anyway. Why waste a settler's time building roads/rail when you can either found a new city, or build diplomats and ironclads? War is pretty much the only game in town, and you can't really afford to take time and build up your cities and infrastructure. Afterall, why take the time and effort building stuff that your enemy can destroy in just a couple of turns? Listen to your military advisor; you'll be glad you did.

Please don't tell me again the game takes too long already. If I want a quick game, I would play Action Half-Life instead.

Mike