[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI can build railway-system

To: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI can build railway-system
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 20:41:27 -0500

Actually, for those that know any history using enemy railroads is
a favorite military pastime. First happened in the American Civil War
i.e. about the time railroads appeared.

The movie "Von Ryan's Express", for those that absorb such things
only through popular TV, is a more recent example. Note, the Germans
did not build all the railway track from Berlin to Stalingrad.

The AI should be taught to build railroads more sparingly, and to
fortify, or at least station units near key connecting points to exert
ZOC. Also they should not not build or should pillage railroads near
enemy territory and when retreating. This would restore some balance
vs humans. Some of this is non-trivial though.

Changing the rules to fix problems like this is not really a productive
solution though.

Cheers,
RossW
=====