[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI questions

To: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI questions
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 20:52:20 -0500

At 11:32 AM 01/11/24 +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:
>> > - advisors - unimplemented mostly, will their tech. advise ever be
>> > implemented?  Is it needed? If so, should we implement it now? Doesn't
seem
>> > to be too difficult to me. Shouldn't them all advise both buildings and
>> > technologies? (almost all, well :) It looks to me we should implement
them,
>> > to help AI start trading etc sooner and evolve more carefully.
>> >

>> The ai currently seems to use the rulesets to decide what techs to shoot
for.
>> It does have code in there to evaluate techs, based on flags like Defend
>> good.  Go ahead and implement one, it can't hurt.
>AFAIK it decides accordingly to how many other techs it will make
available to
>it, but with many modifications from other parts of code, currently i know
>about changing in code deciding what unit to build in order to defend the
city,
>there must be others as well. I can imagine trade advisor suggesting
>researching trade, science advisor suggesting to research
>writing/university/computers etc.. However maybe this is already done
>somewhere, i still have read only part of the code.

Ruleset tech goals as well as those suggested by advisors are used to
compute the weight of all those under them in the tree. The tech goal
chosen is the one with the highest accumulated weight.

But since the military advisor usually panics under danger threats and
demands the best military possibility drowning out the rest, the game
tends to follow a pretty standard track.

There are some hardwired choices in favour of government types like
Republic that tend to make the ruleset stuff irrelevant as well.

Cheers,
RossW
=====