[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI questions

To: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI questions
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 07:59:38 -0800 (PST)

--- Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
> Ok, will add it to my TODO :-).

Excellent!

> > There is no such thing as a trade advisor. There is some crude code for
> > stockpiling caravans for wonder building, and if there are surplus caravans
> > creating trade routes, but that's it.
> And poor little and totally empty advtrade.c.

Really? How did I miss that?

> > > Also it looks we can try to sell palace when we need money (we only won't
> > > sell city walls), which may lead to big problems (as mentioned in another
> > > thread ;-). Maybe we shouldn't try to sell anything with upkeep 0, as it
> > > won't drain us anyway and we can get into problems w/o it, as it is
> usually
> > > something special.
> >
> > This is harder than it looks. Adam Smith matters, barracks matter etc.
> Yeah, true. So let's check it against original value from ruleset.
>
> > > Selling palace doesn't threaten in ai_sell_obsolete_unit(), however i
> would
> > > modify that too, as we can keep obsolete buildings there, if they don't
> > > cost us anything, because who knows, wonder which obsoletes them may get
> > > obsoleted etc..
> >
> > No I don't think so. Any building which is obsoleted by a wonder, is never
> > built again. City walls are an exception, but they are not obsoleted by the
> > Great Wall.
> Yes, but they are taken as 'duplicate', de-facto obsoleted, even if you still
> can build them. This would make that more universal, and even save few cpu
> cycles not vainly trying to sell wonders.

Do we try to sell wonders currently? I strongly suspect you are wrong on this
point.

> default ruleset dependent, and this would help it.
>
> > What obsolete buildings cost us nothing? Only improvs that get obsoleted
> are
> > barracks. Barracks always cost us something, and until we get the last
> bunch
> > of barracks, they can always be obsoleted.
> I took City walls as obsoleted by Great wall, ok, they aren't. However they
> frequently acts in such a way.

Up to you. You're the one implementing it, I'm just the gallery.

> > > Aha.. after careful reading it looks it will travel to another continent
> > > only in order to return to their home city. Strange..
> >
> > This can't be right. GB, what is the behavior of explorer units? I have
> seen
> > in AI only games explorers get off ships and check out an island.
> http://www.freeciv.org/lxr/source/ai/aiunit.c#L408
> It only works for exploring military units however :|.

All units except for caravan, diplo and settler are military. Explorers are
almost certainly military.

Also somewhat
> confusing
> for newcomer, one would say ai_manage_explorer() is explorer-specific.

Would you prefer a comment? Maybe rename the func ai_manage_explorer_unit.