[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI questions

To: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI questions
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 21:03:47 -0800 (PST)

--- Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I was browsing the AI code, and wondered about some things:
>
> - advisors - unimplemented mostly, will their tech. advise ever be
> implemented?
>              Is it needed? If so, should we implement it now? Doesn't seem to
> be
>            too difficult to me. Shouldn't them all advise both buildings and
>            technologies? (almost all, well :) It looks to me we should
> implement
>            them, to help AI start trading etc sooner and evolve more
> carefully.

The ai currently seems to use the rulesets to decide what techs to shoot for.
It does have code in there to evaluate techs, based on flags like Defend good.
Go ahead and implement one, it can't hurt.

> - buildings - when city has nothing to build and settlers seem too dangerous,
>             shouldn't it try coinage?

No. Currently the ai still trys to buy coinage. That is pretty hairy to fix,
good luck to you.

> - 13th city - in the README.AI, it's told it is unlucky. just a joke? ;-)

There is a threshold, after a certain no of cities the next city has more
unhappiness, more corr etc.

> - explorers - they say they don't use ferryboats to explore new land, however
>             glancing on the code it looks they do.

Just plain wrong comments.

> - techs - well... this code is mess, however finally i discovered response
> myself.
>         will make some comments and cleanup there maybe too :).
>
> - spaceship - shouldn't we launch spaceship also if our capital is in danger
>             and we have reasonable reliability (>50%) or if someone already
>             launched it and we would get sooner there and have reasonable
>             reliability (>75%).. kinda:

launched_spaceships*(our_traveltime*our_reliability/avg_traveltime*avg_reliability)

Your change seems good. Have you read all of advspacehip.c though?