[Freeciv-Dev] Re: non-smallpox idea

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: non-smallpox idea
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 22:42:04 -0500

Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The simple one is the corruption distance fall off of city science under
> despotism. In effect this means that whilst a smallpox player is
> guaranteed at least one science point from all their first 8 cities,
[...]

I think this is a problem in itself and it's not hard to fix.
There's no basis for the roundoff to 1.

The minimum of 1 trade left after corruption has been removed since 1.12.0. However, the problem of roundoff still remains. Say a city is suffering a loss of trade of 93% to curruption, then it doesn't matter whether it is producing 1 or 10 trade prior to corruption, it will have exactly 1 trade left afterwards regardless. This seems wrong to me as it clearly favors smaller cities.

Currently under Despotism, the 100% corruption distance is 12 (this is map_distance, which is the sum of the distances in x and y direction, i.e. diagnal is counted as 2). As long as city stays within this distance from the capital, it is guaranteed at least 1 trade (thus science), thus corruption is never a problem for smallpox since the cities are rarely far from each other, at least at the start. Once you reach the Republic, corruption is even less of a problem for smallpox, where the maximum is capped at 53.7% (=36/67).

On the other hand, if you prefer not to use smallpox, you would place your cities farther apart and grow them bigger, then corruption will become a serious problem. As I pointed out earlier, big cities lose a lot more to curruption than smaller ones. Under despotism, a distance of 6 from the capital means 50% loss of trade. This would seriously delay the discovery of the Republic and haunt you for the rest of the game.

> The easiest way i can think of to fix that is to also make the corruption > fall off proportional to the number of cities in the empire. This would even
> things up between the two strategies, at least at the beginning of the
> game. If science output (under despotism), became 1 after 2 cities, and 0
> after 8 cities, this would effectively maintain the current status quo.

Looks like a good idea, but I don't see the 'realism'.

"Realism" be damned, Sir!  We need game balance!  ;-)

Mike