[Freeciv-Dev] Re: non-smallpox idea
[Top] [All Lists]
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index] [Thread Index]
Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The simple one is the corruption distance fall off of city science under
> despotism. In effect this means that whilst a smallpox player is
> guaranteed at least one science point from all their first 8 cities,
I think this is a problem in itself and it's not hard to fix.
There's no basis for the roundoff to 1.
The minimum of 1 trade left after corruption has been removed since 1.12.0.
However, the problem of roundoff still remains. Say a city is suffering a
loss of trade of 93% to curruption, then it doesn't matter whether it is
producing 1 or 10 trade prior to corruption, it will have exactly 1 trade
left afterwards regardless. This seems wrong to me as it clearly favors
Currently under Despotism, the 100% corruption distance is 12 (this is
map_distance, which is the sum of the distances in x and y direction, i.e.
diagnal is counted as 2). As long as city stays within this distance from
the capital, it is guaranteed at least 1 trade (thus science), thus
corruption is never a problem for smallpox since the cities are rarely far
from each other, at least at the start. Once you reach the Republic,
corruption is even less of a problem for smallpox, where the maximum is
capped at 53.7% (=36/67).
On the other hand, if you prefer not to use smallpox, you would place your
cities farther apart and grow them bigger, then corruption will become a
serious problem. As I pointed out earlier, big cities lose a lot more to
curruption than smaller ones. Under despotism, a distance of 6 from the
capital means 50% loss of trade. This would seriously delay the discovery
of the Republic and haunt you for the rest of the game.
> The easiest way i can think of to fix that is to also make the
> fall off proportional to the number of cities in the empire. This would
> things up between the two strategies, at least at the beginning of the
> game. If science output (under despotism), became 1 after 2 cities, and
> after 8 cities, this would effectively maintain the current status quo.
Looks like a good idea, but I don't see the 'realism'.
"Realism" be damned, Sir! We need game balance! ;-)
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
- [Freeciv-Dev] Re: non-smallpox idea, Mike Jing, 2001/11/23
- [Freeciv-Dev] Re: non-smallpox idea,
Mike Jing <=
- [Freeciv-Dev] Re: non-smallpox idea, Mike Jing, 2001/11/25
- [Freeciv-Dev] Thoughts about corruption, Gregor Zeitlinger, 2001/11/25
- [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts about corruption, Reinier Post, 2001/11/25
- [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts about corruption, Gregor Zeitlinger, 2001/11/25
- [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts about corruption, Kevin Brown, 2001/11/25
- [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts about corruption, Gregor Zeitlinger, 2001/11/26
- [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts about corruption, Greg Wooledge, 2001/11/26