[Freeciv-Dev] Re: non-smallpox idea

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: non-smallpox idea
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 15:45:15 +0100

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 05:11:13PM -0500, Mike Jing wrote:

> Closely related is the tech tree and research cost.  It's way too easy to
> get to the Republic.  Currently it costs a total of 150 (=10+20+30+40+50)
> science points to research from scratch if you make a beeline for it.
> Suppose a smallpox player can found a new city every 15 turns, taking into
> account the time to build it and move it to the nearest possible city site,
> and the capital produces 2 science per turn while every other city produces
> 1 per turn.  Starting with 2 settlers,  it should take about 33 turns to
> research the Republic, barely after having 8 cities.

This is one reason that games with slower researchspeed are interesting.
(Another is that expiring wonders become more attractive.)

Civ II does not allow this: it divides the techs into technological ages,
and I think you have to get a minimum number of techs from the first
age before you can research any from the second level.  This means
you can't climb to The Republic right away.  Does anyone know the exact
algorithm used in Civ II?

[in Civ III]
> Every tech has a fixed base research cost, which doesn't depend on
> how many techs you already have.  This is then multiplied by the number of
> Civs that do NOT have the tech and devided by the total number of Civs in
> the game.  This makes it a bit harder to maintain a insurmountable tech
> lead, and IMHO a good thing.

This seems easy to add, with a 'techleakage' setting.

> So the Republic should cost more to research, and you wouldn't be penalized
> too heavily for not going after it first.  At least the first person to
> reach republic would not have such a huge lead over everyone else.  Good for
> game balance.

I'm not sure more balance between players is something to strive for.
Freeciv already takes too long to play.  What is important is balance
between game features and strategies.  This change would mean that the
impact of your choice of tech research would be reduced.

There are other ways to address this.  What about an invisible spy
(like a submarine), who also makes the ship he's on invisible,
available early in the game?

--
Reinier