[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts about corruption

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Thoughts about corruption
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 19:26:14 -0500

Gregor Zeitlinger (zeitling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Kevin Brown wrote:

>> [snipped: corruption depends on travel time (roads/rails) between cities]

> Yes, in terms of realism you may be right. The first problem about realism
> is that I don't care much. Secondly it may be in contradiction to balance
> or strategic depth. And thirdly, if you argue that way, its easy to get a
> really bloated and broken gaming system.

Civ:CTP uses a corruption ("crime") model that's partially based on
this, though.  If you build roads between your cities, your unhappiness
due to distance-from-capital is decreased.  I believe it also decreases
corruption (crime), but I don't have formulas for it.

The important consideration is balance.  Obviously it would be bad to
have 0 corruption just because you've got railroads; so physical distance
(or something other than travel time) must still play a role.

But the benefit of Kevin's suggestion is that it rewards players who
develop infrastructure; in other words, it favors the "perfectionist"
strategy more than it does the smallpox strategy.  That's a good thing.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |