[Freeciv-Dev] Re: non-smallpox idea

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: non-smallpox idea
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 16:19:33 -0500

Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
Civ II does not allow this: it divides the techs into technological ages,
and I think you have to get a minimum number of techs from the first
age before you can research any from the second level.  This means
you can't climb to The Republic right away.

That's more like how it works in Civ3. In Civ2 techs are devided into 3 categories, and at any time 1/3 of all remaining techs are unavailable for research, depending on which techs you already have. It does make it impossible to go after the Republic directly, but only adding 1 or 2 "unnecessary" techs along the way.

Does anyone know the exact algorithm used in Civ II?

See http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001533.html

> So the Republic should cost more to research, and you wouldn't be penalized
> too heavily for not going after it first.  At least the first person to
> reach republic would not have such a huge lead over everyone else. Good for
> game balance.

I'm not sure more balance between players is something to strive for.
Freeciv already takes too long to play.  What is important is balance
between game features and strategies.  This change would mean that the
impact of your choice of tech research would be reduced.

Yes, but as it is you don't have much of a choice in tech research during the early game anyway, because you will be dead if you don't get the Republic early enough. The Civ3 system actually provides more variety in this respect because you can afford to go after other techs first and come back to the Republic a little later, and then it will be cheaper to research because some of the other Civs will already have it.

There are other ways to address this.  What about an invisible spy
(like a submarine), who also makes the ship he's on invisible,
available early in the game?

Yikes!  I am actually looking forward to the demise of the spy.  ;-)

Mike