[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Embrace the Dark Side: Be ICS

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Embrace the Dark Side: Be ICS
From: Patrice LaFlamme <ewd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:30:52 -0400

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 05:25:25PM +0200 or thereabouts, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > Every Civ game seems to have a different trade system -- it seems that
> > nobody's happy with the Civ2/Freeciv implementation. ;-)
>
> I had a thought coming... how about changing the trade system from
> caravans establishing trade to up to four cities, to caravans establishing
> access to up to four off-limits resource tiles?
>
> What I mean is that when a caravan is sentried (or whatever) over a tile,
> then that tile is made available to the city as if it was within range of
> the city that produced it. This way large cities can reach wider and be
> made much more powerful with some micromanagement and investment.
>
> Perhaps it can be limited to a resource on the same continent, and that a
> trade path can be traced between the caravan and the city. And perhaps
> there must be a continous road between them too.
>
> This would be especially good if we add higher max distance between
> cities, as it would be harder to make use of all resources then.

well the way it works in Civ3, iirc, is that you need a road to that
particular resource, or between cities that you want to have trade together.

as for going over water, I don't know how they do it. But I think one of the
goals of this method is to reduce micromanagement. I wouldn't want yet
another unit that I must station somewhere just to get my resources...

Patrix.

--
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not
become a monster."