[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3's answer to smallpox

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3's answer to smallpox
From: Patrice LaFlamme <ewd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:39:01 -0400

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 03:40:18AM -0400 or thereabouts, Mike Jing wrote:
> -- Separation of Settler and Worker units, and they no longer need food
> support.
> -- Settler takes 2 pop points (implemented as an option in Freeciv).
> -- No more home city for units/simplified unit support system.  This reduces
> ICS's advantage in supporting a large army.
> -- New culture system, so building city improvements is more important since
> that's how you gain culture points.
>
> Thare are others which I can't recall at the moment.  Anyway, it looks like
> some real effort has been put into fixing this problem in Civ3.  Then again,
> that's if you think there is a problem at all.

Don't forget the trade system. If a city isn't connected in any way to
a horse resource, you can't build cavalry.. And another article said that
the map generator will be set up so that about 3 resources are abundant in
a certain area, leaving you to trade or war to get what else you need...
Does this stop ICS? probably not, but it does force ICS'ers to at least
build roads (that's how you do basic trade routes), before they can
build ironclads everywhere (don't have iron in that city? tough luck, no
ironclads. don't have oil? tough luck, no tanks. etc)

Patrix.

--
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not
become a monster."