[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Embrace the Dark Side: Be ICS

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Embrace the Dark Side: Be ICS
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:07:13 -0400

Raahul Kumar (raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > 2 The only way to generate income is through your city (Again, more is
> > better)
> > Incorrect.  You can also get gold by conquering enemy cities, or from
> > "goody huts".  Or by "diplomacy" (e.g., "Pay me 100 gold right now or I
> > raze Minneapolis!").
> Are you seriously suggesting goody huts as your main money maker? My point
> still stands. And conquering enemy cities also means, wait for it,more cities.

No, I'm just trying to be thorough.

> No. I quite often bride enemy units and cities with lots of units, so money
> comes in handy then. I also rush build units with cash.

Yes, I missed that here:

> > > 3 Units are produced at ... Can you guess? Yes, your cities. (More is
> > better)
> > Also found in goody huts, but yeah, you're basically correct.

(I overlooked: you can also bribe units.)

> > Again: conquest, goody huts and diplomacy.  In addition, you can use
> > Diplomat units (or Spies, later) to acquire knowledge from your neighbors.
> And these all work far better for a ICSer.

One thing here works in the vertical player's favor: you can only steal
one tech from each city (in Civ1/Civ2/Freeciv; more in CTP and SMAC but
there are penalties).  Fewer cities means smaller opportunity to be an
unwilling tech teacher.

> > It might be worthwhile to add (or change) a few more Wonders that
> > affect single cities.
> I quite like this idea of yours. When will I see the patch?

No plans or promises. ;-)

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |