[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Embrace the Dark Side: Be ICS

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Embrace the Dark Side: Be ICS
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:25:25 +0200 (MEST)

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Every Civ game seems to have a different trade system -- it seems that
> nobody's happy with the Civ2/Freeciv implementation. ;-)

I had a thought coming... how about changing the trade system from
caravans establishing trade to up to four cities, to caravans establishing
access to up to four off-limits resource tiles?

What I mean is that when a caravan is sentried (or whatever) over a tile,
then that tile is made available to the city as if it was within range of
the city that produced it. This way large cities can reach wider and be
made much more powerful with some micromanagement and investment.

Perhaps it can be limited to a resource on the same continent, and that a
trade path can be traced between the caravan and the city. And perhaps
there must be a continous road between them too.

This would be especially good if we add higher max distance between
cities, as it would be harder to make use of all resources then.

[science]
> I think this point is the one that REALLY demonstrates the strength
> of ICS.  It seems natural and right that a single size-5 city should
> produce more science and gold than 5 size-1 cities -- unless you've
> actually played the game, where the reverse is true! :-/

Do cities still have a minimum of 1 science output? In that case I think
that should be dropped.

Yours,
Per

Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men.
 -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe