[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3's answer to smallpox

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Lukasz Szelag <lszelag@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3's answer to smallpox
From: Arien Malec <arien_malec@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:45:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > So CVS Freeciv allows a complete and total attack on ICS.
>
> Good news ... is there any practical experience with this yet?

Well, I'm not a multiplayer player, but:

1) The citymindist stuff is acknowledged by people who are to be an ICS killer
2) I get the impression that the trade penalties for small cities were
playtested by the Italian user group
3) civ3 seems to be adopting the pop_cost approach

It would seem then, that none of these are particularly academic approaches to
the problem. I would also note that all of them dramatically change the early
period of the game, in quite different ways, so learning to work with them
requires a pretty profound adjustment to strategy. As a side comment to Ingo,
you can't just say: "my approach works for multiplayer, therefore all the
others are just academic responses" -- you need to play test the alternatives
enough to develop the appropriate strategies, and then judge.

Arien