[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3's answer to smallpox

To: Lukasz Szelag <lszelag@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ3's answer to smallpox
From: Arien Malec <arien_malec@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:40:06 -0700 (PDT)

Again, ICS works because:

1) You get a free unit of population when you create a settler and found a unit
2) City creation is an exponential process (if each city grinds out settlers)
3) Growing cities beyond a certain (server & ruleset controlled limit) requires
waste due to the need to create happiness and build aquaducts/sewers

It is therefore much faster and more efficient to create 4 cities of size 2
than one city of size 8 & 20 cities of size 2 than 5 cities of size 8.

Settler pop = 2 solves the first problem, but not the second or third.
min dist helps the second problem (takes longer, and you run up against island
boundardies/other civs faster) but not the first & second
The new tech penalties for small cities help favor large cities enough to
compensate for the support infrastructure.

So CVS Freeciv allows a complete and total attack on ICS.

OTOH, in games against AI, I've worked out strategies with Rapture, etc. to get
to Autobile by 400AD, which I was never able to do using ICS, so things are not
totally unbalanced as they currently stand.

And we still need to unify rulesets & server commands :-)

Arien