[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Exploring triremes getting lost (PR#961)

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Exploring triremes getting lost (PR#961)
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:21:55 -0500

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 03:02:00PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 11:41:57AM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > Before going into the discussion of code, a general question:
> > what do you think AI should do if it's exploring trireme ventures into
> > the open sea and realises that it does not have enough movepoints to
> > reach the destination?
>
> I have no idea how auto-explore currently work. What do you mean with
> destination? IMHO this case can and should be avoided. Either the
> trireme has to ensure that if it goes through knonw terrain it will
> arrive at a safe place at the end of turn OR it can ensure that after
> a step into unknown terrain it has enough moves left to reach a safe
> position.

        Unless all "close" shoreline has already been explored.  Or it was
guessing after seeing a whale that terrain was in a particular direction,
and guessed wrong.  Or something.

        Generally, yes, triremes should hug land.  Personally, I'm tempted
to give them their own GOTO/auto_explore function, so that the later ships
which don't sink so readily can have a more cleanly programmed function as
well.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."