[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Exploring triremes getting lost (PR#961)

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Exploring triremes getting lost (PR#961)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:47:13 +0100 (BST)

 --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 05:12:49PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > anyway I don't know how to properly check the path for
> > trireme-compliance...
>
> I said "an ideal solution". Mhh nevertheless a new exploring agent is
> on my todo list. A working (for land units and sea units) agent for
> goto planning already exists. And it is not a mess like the current
> code. So I have hope for the future.

ok attached is a patch which does not implement the ideal solution, but
implements a solution.

Exploring triremes belonging to human will never sink.  At most (if there
is nothing safe in sight to explore) it will ask you for guidance and
will have enough movepoints to get back to land.

Under ai the behaviour is much more safe than it is now, but instead of
asking for human help it will continue moving towards possibly unsafe
destination.  With possibly tragic consequences.  Again, this happens
very rarely, so in any case it is an improvement.

I considered asking trireme to return to the nearest port, but it
involves changing a lot of unfamiliar code.

Best,
G.