[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Multiple bonus tech patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Multiple bonus tech patch
From: Josh Cogliati <jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 20:17:35 -0600

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 06:45:12PM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Josh Cogliati wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 11:31:59PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > This timing wasn't good. I have applied your old patch at Thu Sep 6
> > > 19:48:13 2001 (GMT). Can you rediff your patch? You don't have to
> > > introduce a new capability.
> > Very bad.  I updated freeciv, saw that it wasn't in there and sent off the
> > diff.
> > Anyway attached is the diff that adds first_message's diffed off of freeciv
> > that I checked out in the last hour.
>
>  req1     = "Invention"
>  req2     = "Iron Working"
>  flags    = ""
> +first_message = _("Game: Nations tremble in fear of your new weapons.")
>

> So you see this message if you are the first to get gunpowder?  But nothing
> actually happens?  Or is there some special thing that gunpowder does that I
> don't know about?
First person to gunpowder has a reasonable advantage over anyone who does not.
(20 hitpoints and defense 3 versus 10 hitpoints and defense > 2 for every thing
else)
This was mainly a demonstration that the message can occur even if it is not
a bonus_tech.

Technically this is a game play change since it gives information that might
not otherwise be available since it tell the player that they are the only one
to research gunpowder at this stage of the game.

--
Josh Cogliati
jjc@xxxxxxxxx