[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] New city dialog (8a)

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] New city dialog (8a)
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 14:53:46 +0200

Am Mittwoch,  5. September 2001 22:23 schrieb Mike Kaufman:
> Ok, I've put a ver 8a of the new_city_dialog on the ftp site in
> incoming/ In fact, you all get a bonus: two versions!

I think it is now in a state, where it can respectfully replace
the old city dialog. Everything goes smooth, and it's not too big
anymore!

There are some real minor bugs and cosmetic things yet, I wish
to comment on. Most of this has been said, I just mention it
so they will not get lost:

> new_city_dialog8a-normal.diff.gz:
>
> a new version of city_dialog.
> o more internal work. notebook pages moved to functions, more cleanup
> o the happiness dialog plays nice when switching cities

Well, the display of the text within still isn't nice. I'll put up
a picture on http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/bugs/happiness.png

so you can see it.

> o worklist help by Daniel Sjölie
> o column_spacing fix by Daniel Sjölie
> o more shortcuts: Enter closes dialog; [,],c,u,w,h,t,m switches pages

Could you please make them translatable, and mark them with "_" ?

Now, that you have these, I'd really like to have (<begging>) "Ins" and
"Del" keys for the worklist items.

I couldn't find out what the [,] does?

When you insert an item into the worklist (currently building), some columns
may become invisible. But there is enough space, so resizing should help.
If you can't reproduce it, please use german locale.

The title of the dialog should be the city name alone. This affects the
presentation of the dialog in the task bar.

Shortcuts for "Buy" and "Change" in the overview.

When you switch to "next city", the map is not centered. Are there
performance reasons? (Not for me, 200 MHz)

The sensitive area bug.

There is a tooltip now (for the granary numbers), but no enable
tooltips switch.

> city_dialog8a-trade.diff.gz
>
> o everything above.
> o traderoutes moved to new page.
> o supported and present units moved to an over-and-under format on
> the overview page

I really like this one, and would prefer it.

> After doing the traderoute move, I find that I really like it, even
> if the traderoutes dialog is huge. I haven't done a whole lot of

You could make the "Establish trade routes" Frame smaller and centered.
Could this have a white background?

> testing on this. Somebody check adding traderoutes and spying and see
> if there's any problems.

I did. No problems, except: If a city has four traderoutes, it is
not possible to establish another traderoute. AFAIK, the worst/oldest
should be replaced by a new one. But this may not be an issue of
your dialog, it only becomes visible now!

> Does anyone dislike the -trade.diff? If there are strong opinions,
> let's hear them. I'm voting for city_dialog8a-trade.diff.gz for
> ver.9.
>
> Depending on what Daniel and I work out for some ideas I have for the
> worklist editor, I foresee a version 10 before it's ready for CVS.
>
> Ok, go break it.

Hhm. While I'm writing this and playing with the dialog, X eats up
all my memory:

----------------
USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root       497  3.7 29.8 99616 28432 ?       S    11:22   7:13 /usr/X11R6/bin/X
:0
chris      637  2.9 14.7 28752 14100 ?       S    11:24   5:43 kmail -caption
KMail ...
chris     4373  0.1  2.6  6572 2532 pts/2    S    12:17   0:14 civserver -f
hard12.sav.gz
chris     4374  1.5  5.6  9420 5404 ?        S    12:17   2:12 civclient -tiles
trident
chris     4440  0.3  6.5  8272 6208 ?        S    13:04   0:21 civclient -tiles
trident
chris     4566  2.0 13.2 21436 12612 ?       S    14:29   0:07
/opt/netscape/netscape
chris     4580  0.0  3.8 16828 3628 ?        S    14:29   0:00 (dns helper)
----------------

Never seen this before. Just opening and switching a few cities
makes VSZ grow from 99616 to 104380.

chris@max:~ > X -version

XFree86 Version 4.0 / X Window System

> -mike

HTH,

Christian

--
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *