[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] New city dialog (8a)

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] New city dialog (8a)
From: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 22:44:37 -0500

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 01:41:24AM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 03:25:49PM -0500, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> > >  - worklist_show_tooltips_callback is unused
> >
> > getting wasted as we speak...
> >
> > >  - shortcuts should be marked with a _ under the corresponding char
> >
> > which one's? I don't think we have a system set up to do this for the
> > notebook tabs.
>
> The notebooks tabs. This is possible see gtk_label_set_pattern.

I'll check this out.

> > >  - coloring of the production/surplus
> >
> > do mean like food, shields, trade? I do not think that is a good idea.
> > No, not at all. Convince me.
>
> IMHO it would be nice to have the number in the "()" in another color.

why? what purpose would it really serve? like what other color?  The plus
and minus are perfectly fine and convey all the information that one needs
without
resorting to gaudiness. In fact, while I think about it, one should _know_ that
if
your food is in minus, then eventually your city is going to starve. So the
only
time that "Granary: %d" should turn red in when you're only a couple of turns
away
from losing city size. When you need extra production, and you're willing to
lose
stocked food, cool, it's just that you'd like to be alerted before starvation
occurs.

> > >  - add space between widgets
> >
> > which widgets? where exactly? One of the major selling points to this was
> > that it's a smaller dialog.
>
> Between all widgets ;) The dialog is small enough that 4x5 pixel =20
> pixel in width and heigth are ok.

hmm...

> > >  - if would be nice if the sell button (or somewhere else) shows how
> > >  much this will cost and how much you have. May also disable the
> > >  button. This can be done in an extra row under the current currently
> > >  building frame.
> >
> > yes it would be nice. how about on the button?, on tentative list.
>
> IMHO this could be done like below:
>
>   Archer 20/50 3 turns     Change
>   Cost: 56 treasure: 145   Sell

hmm, I'll think about this, but my gut is that I don't like it. The sell button
is
not used often (at least I don't use it often) and I don't like it or anything
separating or putting more space between the currently building progress bar
and the impr list. I think that the current design in terms of where things are
is
sound.  Also, putting the current amount of gold is kind of redundant. I could
see
something like "Sell for 56 Gold" on the "Sell" button.

> > >  - happiness display is poorly wrapped
> >
> > as from previous post, I belive that this is a gtk bug. I don't know how to
> > fix it. I imagine that a gtk guru can use the gtk widget requisition sizes
> > manual wrap the lines in the correct places. However, that process will
> > obviously be complicated by localization and different font sizes.
> >
> > So the answer is: I know, but I have disavowed knowledge of the problem.
> > Someone, anyone?
>
> It may be possible that there is another invisible widget which used
> the place right to the label. You can embed the label in a frame to
> see this.

I rewrote the code here and know that this is not the case; also, check the
result
if you comment out the gtk_label_set_line_wrap(). <-- this function is to blame.
bad gtk.

-mike