[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Submit patch again? (and core cleanup)

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Submit patch again? (and core cleanup)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:48:57 -0400

At 03:30 PM 01/08/15 +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
[...]
> --- "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>[..]
>> Two, things that might help are some well known procedures and a policy
>> that every submitter gets at least one reply in a fixed period of time.
>>
>> The procedures should enable a fast triage evaluation of a patch with
>> minimal scrutiny, and a note that is sent sent back to the submitter
>> that it was rejected, should be resubmitted with some critical elements
>> reworked, or passed on to the next level. A patch gets 3 chances at
>> resubmission over its lifetime if you need a control here.
>
>wow that looks like a scientific journal refereeing procedure ;)

There are very few completely original ideas in the world ... but any
review process faces the same challenges. How to be responsive to the
community members using it, while managing the load of doing so. Peer
review is a good way to avoid the claims of autocratic abuse, whether
justified or not :-).

But a peer review "lite" is probably a good first step!

>anyway, I think people should be encouraged to look at other peoples
>patches and also some regulation should definitely be introduced (like if
>you are sending a patch correcting a bug, provide a savegame which
>illustrates the bug)
>
>and to live up to my own words I undertook a crusade of looking at the
>changes introduce by Ross in his corecleanup thingy.  and I already got
>one crash and quite a lot of swearing, which will follow shortly :)

Beat me up ... you only just got started :-).

Besides it is the code that will benefit in the end.

Be forwarned, the current code is setup to fault heavily if any bad code
is encountered, so it may not make game play enjoyable.

On the otherside, I've had an autogame loop running for 24 hours at about
7-8 games per hour without fault at FlatEarth which is the most picky. But
I do have a half dozen more patches like you found in my current sandbox
and I expect the community at large can easily double that.