[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Submit patch again? (and core cleanup)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Submit patch again? (and core cleanup)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:30:01 +0100 (BST)

This might repeat some of what was said before, but I think that just
ignoring a patch for fear of annoying people with a rejection is a very
rotten idea.  Thue (or somebody else) should have sent a note to Bert
saying something like "we are in pre-release frenzy right now, can you
resubmit later please", but plainly ignoring the patch in hope that the
submitter forgets about it is really bad....

but enough of this preaching ;)

 --- "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[..]
> Two, things that might help are some well known procedures and a policy
> that every submitter gets at least one reply in a fixed period of time.
>
> The procedures should enable a fast triage evaluation of a patch with
> minimal scrutiny, and a note that is sent sent back to the submitter
> that it was rejected, should be resubmitted with some critical elements
> reworked, or passed on to the next level. A patch gets 3 chances at
> resubmission over its lifetime if you need a control here.

wow that looks like a scientific journal refereeing procedure ;)

anyway, I think people should be encouraged to look at other peoples
patches and also some regulation should definitely be introduced (like if
you are sending a patch correcting a bug, provide a savegame which
illustrates the bug)

and to live up to my own words I undertook a crusade of looking at the
changes introduce by Ross in his corecleanup thingy.  and I already got
one crash and quite a lot of swearing, which will follow shortly :)

G.