[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Introduction and Patch Approval Process

To: col@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Introduction and Patch Approval Process
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:19:20 +0200

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 02:37:17PM +0200, col@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > > So my meaning about the whole thing is, that sound output is easy
> > > enough to be written in one night - that's all.
> >
> > Still open is the question of what sound has to be played when?
>
> Hmmm... well you can adjust it like you want to have it... I think
> by implementing the play sound functions into the gui code you will
> have played the right sounds at the right time and because I have
> made up 5 different sounds for every unit it is flexible
> enough... When the sound system is released once, I think there will
> be many people who make their own sound presets and release them...

But you still have to provide default sounds and a default setting
IMHO. This is necessary to test the code. Yesterday on #freeciv:

<bomek> so, any patch as been done for sound support in 1.12?
> there was one today
<bomek> you know where to get it?
<paulz> bomek: there are some links in the FAQ to some mailing list archinves
<bomek> yah
<bomek> put patchs there are for old versions
<paulz> well the patch today should be in the archives by now too
<paulz> but its also unfinished
<bomek> ok, thx
<bomek> bah
> http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-200108/threads.html
<bomek> i like unfinished stuff
<bomek> :-)
> try it and please report your findings to the author
<bomek> sure
<bomek> haha

and later

<bomek> hmm, civclient compiled with sound.o
<bomek> but i dont see much difference :-)
<bomek> it dont complain it cant find any sounds

So one tried your patch and nothing has changed. The patch has to
provide some immediate feedback. Especially a sound patch.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  A supercomputer is a computer running an endless loop in just a second