[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Introduction and Patch Approval Process

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Introduction and Patch Approval Process
From: Kevin Brown <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:54:16 -0700

Per I. Mathisen <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 col@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > >  - the server should be in command of sound
> >
> > That would only cause some traffic
>
> It would add a few bytes to the rulesets, but since they are only
> transmitted once, it doesn't matter.

But if the client doesn't have the sounds that the modpack calls for,
then it can't play the sounds anyway, and would have to get them from
the server, right?  That's a lot more bandwidth.

> > >  - client and server should negotiate which sound to play
> >
> > There is no reason to do so
>
> Yes, there is one: modpacks.

How often does a modpack have to be installed on the clients?  The
Ancients modpack does, for example.

Even if not, I don't find modpacks a compelling reason to put sound
support in the server.  Any event the client doesn't know how to play
a sound for will not get a sound played, and if the player wants full
sounds then he can install the modpack on his system, right?  I guess
this might be problematic for modpacks that are "proprietary".

But definitely the sound support needs to have a way to specify what
sounds get played in the ruleset.

Anyway, perhaps a good approach would be to do a client-side
implementation first and see what limitations we actually run into,
and burden the server side only as a last resort.  If the sounds are
relatively small then it might make sense to set things up so that the
server can (optionally) transmit them to the client.

--
Kevin Brown                                           kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    It's really hard to define what "unexpected behavior" means when you're
                       talking about Windows.