[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Introduction and Patch Approval Process

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Introduction and Patch Approval Process
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 18:06:21 +0200 (MEST)

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 col@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >  - the server should be in command of sound
>
> That would only cause some traffic

It would add a few bytes to the rulesets, but since they are only
transmitted once, it doesn't matter.

> >  - client and server should negotiate which sound to play
>
> There is no reason to do so

Yes, there is one: modpacks.

> >  - the server sends a generic signal of what type of sound it wants
>
> don't spam the net

Okay, I wasn't being clear. Forget this. It is already implemented.

> >  - the client interprets this signal according to the local sound library
>
> ok, but we can do the whole thing by interpreting the events. we will play
> sounds to an event.

Yes. That's what I mean.

> > Why make it so complex? Because of modpacks. I have only briefly skimmed
> > your patch, but it looks likes it hardcodes current freeciv rules. Not a
> > good thing, although it might be a worthwhile start, perhaps.
>

> It is only a start and I will have a look how to integrate modpacks.
> But we will not do it this way because playing sound is more like the
> GUI with different tilesets so it has nothing to do with the server

No. It is not comparable to tilesets.

Now, when you make a modpack, you make new rulesets (new buildings and
units etc). You may also make a new tileset (but you don't need to).

Similarly I wanted to be able to change sounds in the rulesets, so that,
for example, all "Wizard" type units made artillery sounds. In addition, I
wanted to be able to change "soundsets", so that the modpack might include
its own sounds (but, again, did not need to do so).

> Hmm... I have a plan how to integrate modpacks into my sound output system a
> more easy way...

Please tell me more about it. I'm not going to code anything right now,
but I might be able to give some advice :)

Yours,
Per